Thursday, April 08, 2010

Tragedy in Shirley

Shirley Towers, picture taken today.

I was shocked and saddened when I heard yesterday morning of the death of brave firefighters James Shears and Alan Bannon while they had been tackling a fire in Shirley Towers. This council owned tower block is in the heart of the ward which I represent. The deaths of these two brave men is a terrible tragedy and while they may be the first serving firefighters who have perished on active service in Southampton since the war, the incident is a poignant reminder of how the emergency services daily put themselves in harms way to keep us safe. From a local councillor perspective, I would like to say how grateful residents have told me they are and I am personally for all the emergency services did. I offer my sincere condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of James Shears & Alan Bannon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home